Queenstown

Queenstown

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Here's the Catch

My body is hurting this morning. I could probably attribute this aching sensation to the morning run I took yesterday but more than likely it was something else. Yesterday evening, after watching an emotional Christian based movie called "To Save A Life" I felt an overwhelming desire to play football (don't ask me why, it just sort of hit me). And because just my mom and I were home, I grabbed my Colts football and we went to the back yard to pass it around.

I never used to see what the pull was to the old American idea of "playing catch." I've always been one of those people who find more joy in games that not only involve a physical toll, but strategy as well. So, when I would watch movies where a father and son were tossing around a ball of some variety, I would roll my eyes and yawn.



Our neighbors, the Carrs, are always out in their front or backyard doing the whole "catch" thing. They have two elementary (or so) age kids and for years they've been grooming them for athletics by tossing a softball back and forth all day (seriously most every day). As a kid who spent most of her spare time watching sailor moon and picking her nose, I never envied them.

Now, don't get me wrong. I've always played sports, several of which I was able to play all through high school. I've fought through softball, soccer, figure skating, basketball, volleyball, swimming, tennis, and even kick boxing. There is a soft place in my heart for athletics, despite my artistic predisposition.




It wasn't until this past fall that I've discovered the sheer joy of throwing a ball back and forth. Last Autumn my fellow ChiOs and I signed up to play competitive flag football. Afraid of intensity of the "A team" and to avoid the bored confusion of the "C team," we happily scribbled our names on the "B team" list.

I don't think any of us really knew what to expect. Bethany Fleming, Aubrey Brown, Ashley Bratcher, Shelby Chambliss, Nicole Thoman, and Whitney Chambers, we all showed up regardless, and did surprisingly well. After the first game we discovered our natural strengths with the sport and took up our respective positions on the line up.



Coached by Jason Bragg, Bethany Fleming took up the role of quarterback, Ashley Bratcher: running back, and I was a wide receiver. Before each game Bethany and I would throw the ball back and forth to practice. I found that I LOVED catching that little football. (I wasn't so good at throwing). Even in the game, I saw that it was a whole lot of "playing catch" Bethany would chuck the ball down the field and miraculously I would get to it and secure it into my hands.

Since then, I've found a new respect for the simple act of just playing catch.

So, I guess what I mean is... um... give catch a chance? It's more fun than it looks.

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment