Queenstown

Queenstown

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

Today is Saturday, and for those of you who are not from Indiana, Its race weekend. The Indy 500 happens every memorial day weekend in Naptown. Unfortunately, I don't have tickets. However, the racing brings in a lot of celebrities all at once. Its really the only time that happens. When I'm downtown today for work, I will have my camera ready and be looking for people like Mark Wahlberg "Marky Mark," Jack Nicholson, and Patrick Dempsey... among others. They all end up staying at the Conrad. Its the only five star hotel in Indiana... so, if I have any spare time at work today (highly unlikely) I'll zip past there a few times on segway.



It's sad to say, but I've only been to the race once. It was in second grade and It was raining, so they delayed it. I think it was just me and my mom and we watched the cars go by while eating chewy chips ahoy cookies. I wasn't too excited, perhaps it was because I was really too young. But, it would be nice to have the chance to go again. Instead, on Sunday after church, I'm going with my dad up to Muncie Indiana.



Its where his parents lived. However, most of the "DeCamps" are from Lima, Ohio, which is where the TV show Glee is set in. Anyway, we're going up to good ol' Muncie for a rather emotional trip. Laying flowers on graves and such... since it is memorial day weekend. (people in Indianapolis forget that, when the race is on). Both my grandparents on my father's side have passed away so it may be a tough day for Dad.

This is Papa Ralph and Grandma Marge




I don't know what it would be like to have a parent pass away, but I have to imagine that it would be extremely morose. So, Being with Dad tomorrow will be important. Papa Ralph passed away when I was in fourth grade and Grandma when I was in 8th grade. And while, over time, its been less and less painful for Dad... It's still there. Some days (esp. memorial day) It resurfaces. Time may heal all wounds, but it can't save you from a few scars. I know whenever I really look at my scars I remember how they happened and cringe.

Loss is part of life. We lose and will be lost. Someday, my parents will pass. Someday I will be married and its possible that my husband will pass on before me. People lose children, cousins, friends... The important thing is to keep going. Not to forget, but to keep going.

Ugh, sorry this is so emotional. It's I just always think about this kind of thing around this time of year. Anyway. Celebrate life! And if you're reading this and you're not near me right now... I MISS YOU!

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment