Queenstown

Queenstown

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Online Dating Fiasco, Cleared Up

Alright ladies and gents, 

Perhaps I was a little too harsh on the whole "online dating hating." I feel like I should make a few things clear:

1. I didn't join because I'm so incredibly lonely and can't imagine another minute alone with my best friend: Candy Crush. 

2. I didn't join to prove some point to my friends. 

3. I didn't join to try to forget about my little crush on Richard Armitage (okay, I did).

So stop judging me! virtual glare

Basically, I joined because I had time, and thought it might be kind of fun. I want to emphasize that I'm NOT seriously worried about my love life. I've been single for a while, but I don't feel doomed or anything. Really, I just had a couple of random people give me rave reviews, and told me to give it a try. 

If you know me, you know that I am always willing to try something strange. So, there you have it. 

This is why I'm posting my review on here. I thought, maybe, just maybe, you guys might want to know what online dating is like, but you're too scared people will make fun of you. Because, let's face it, you would make fun of you. Really, you should be thanking me. 

I also want to say that I really haven't even been on this website for longer than a week. So, I suppose it's possible for my opinion to change.  There is a chance that I could meet a normal-ish guy. Right? Ha ha, I'm laughing to myself right now. 

On a serious, non-sarcastic note, I have realized that I truly value meeting people in person rather than on the internet. I can't say I'm very shy, so the fear of meeting people at random hasn't really ever been an issue for me. I think this fear could be what drives more people my age to join dating websites. 

I think this might be one of my biggest aversions to the online dating scene so far. I love the thrill of running into someone in a coffee house, or at the park, who is just an awesome human being. It's like, you're not expecting to meet anyone, so when it does happen by chance, it's even more exciting. 

I feel like online dating really takes away that thrill of the unexpected meeting, the serendipity effect (as like to call it). You know when you join a dating site, that you will be faced with meeting random people all the time. In a lot of ways, it ruins the magic of meeting people organically. 

However, I do understand that plenty of people just don't have time, or are too into their routine to really break out of their shell, and meet new people. I can't really give people a hard time for that. I'm sure it can be discouraging to keep living your life, hoping to meet someone new...and just failing because they never have the opportunity to even try. 

This is not me. I'm at a point in my life where I can really start doing anything I want. I don't yet have a traditional full-time job (working on it, guys). I'm a girl in transition. Maybe that's why it feels wrong for me to be on the site. I'm not condemned to a life of routine, yet. I've got a world full of opportunities, and I'm only 24 years old. So yeah, When the month is up...I probably won't renew it. 

But that doesn't mean, we can't have fun while it lasts right? I'll be happy to put some of my embarrassing experiences on here. As long as you don't judge me for giving this a shot. 

Until then...

Aroha, Angela

Creepiness of the Day: "BigRed" online sent me an instant message that read: Hey Angel! 

No comments:

Post a Comment